Our refugee action meeting on Jun 25 made amazing progress. 16 of us, including lots of new faces, gathered to discuss the project so far (Phase 1), outcomes of impact report and next steps. We also heard from Pamela who has spent time volunteering in Calais, and Boz who is working on a radio soap opera with Syrian refugees.
We focused primarily on the need to raise £14k for Phase 2.
Although there was some support for the original concept of the high profile evening event, it was generally felt that it was both too ambitious in the time frame and not necessary given the required budget. It was held as a concept for Phase 3 and a reconfigured idea was discussed to raise funds and awareness for Phase 2.
In its new format, the evening becomes a several day event building awareness and support. We discussed the following possible elements:
- Kick off event on International Peace Day (Wed Sep 21) featuring the photojournalism project Soile is doing with Aske’s / the camp
Other events for Thurs / Fri featuring eg
- Toymaking from recycled materials
- Edmund Waller singing?
- Mini Hexayurt building on Hill Station deck / parking area
- Hexayurts containing experiences eg videos from the project, Syrian refugees living in London storytelling / music / craft, photojournalism display)
- Stage Hill Station to reflect the camp
- Run Calais Kitchen pop ups on Fri/Sat/Sun with music
- Suggested ticket price = annual income eg if you earn £20k you pay £20, if you earn £100k you pay £100