The overall idea is to address the isolation and poor support networks of many of the women in the camp by creating a magazine style daily podcast that is broadcast via a mobile unit which travels around the camp and then parks up between houses.
- Theme tune to attract attention (like the ice cream van jingle) and encourage women to listen – and eventually to emerge and sit together to listen and maybe chat afterwards
- A short episode (7 minutes) of a soap opera set in an imaginary small Syrian town (a la ‘Azraq Archers’) – not the camp itself – which addresses similar issues eg neighbour disputes, food shortages, trauma, bored teenagers looking for trouble, elders struggling to adapt).
A short term option is to use Boz’s soap opera
- Information pieces eg an interview with a woman who has been to the adult training centre for the first time
- Traditional Syrian music
- Children’s storytime (a la ‘Listen with mother’)
- Existing podcasts? (tbc)
- Existing audio books (via Catherine’s contact in Amman)
- Get more info about Boz’s work to check for suitability / availability (Patricio)
- Contact syriansinlondon.wordpress.com for potential writers (Catherine)
- Contact SAID Foundation re funding (Catherine)
- Contact Flick / Dorothy re Syrian arts / refugees
- Contact Felicity re BBC (Kate)
We also discussed the possibility of corporate sponsorship and need to follow up on that. Virgin? (Mark S), Sennheiser, Pure, Philips?